Friday, March 22, 2019

The Day I Met Julie

I want to share a story that is personal but one that I hope brings comfort to anyone who needs it today. Many of you have likely heard this story but it’s one worth sharing again. 

Nearly five years ago, I was driving my 6 children from Utah where we had been visiting back to California where we lived. It was a 13 hour drive and we were 4 hours into the drive. An unknown number kept calling from San Jose- I had ignored it several times but finally decided to pick up the phone. After saying hello, the woman on the other end delivered news that one can never really prepare for: my husband of 16 years and father of my 6 kids had been killed in a car accident that morning. Although we had been divorced for 7 months at the time of his death, it was still a heartbreaking shock. 

I was in the middle of the desert with absolutely no sign of civilization in sight. I pulled over to the side of the road, got out of the car and stood on the side of the freeway in disbelief. I kept the lady on the phone, asking for any information she could give me. 

I remember so distinctly what I was thinking in that moment. I saw my 6 babies in the car, knowing that their life had been changed forever, even if they did not yet know. I felt despair, fear and shock. Despair at literally being alone in the desert, 9 hours from home. Fear at seeing my kids in the car and wondering how I could possibly be 100% responsible for them- how would we be ok? Shock and sadness at the thought that I would never see him again in this life. 

As I was standing on the side of the freeway trying to wrap my head around what I had been told, a car pulled over. A woman got out of the car, walked right up to my face and said, “I am here, for whatever you need, I am here.” I told her what I had just learned and she immediately offered for me to follow her to her husband’s work where I could make phone calls, and her husband could give me a special blessing for strength and comfort. She had no idea who I was or what my religious beliefs were but her offer immediately brought me comfort. She then offered for me to come to her home and stay for as long as I needed. 

It is hard to articulate in words what her presence and offer meant to me. It was everything. If God himself were standing in front of me, I believe this is what He would have said: “Andrea, I know what is happening right now. I know this is hard, but you will be ok. Get back in the car and keep going.” I KNEW in that moment that we were being looked out for. I knew we would be ok. 

I took her up on her offer, following her first to her husband’s work and then to her home. They fed us dinner, played games with my children, and it was in their home that I gathered my children and told them the news of their dad’s death.  

The next morning, I went into the kitchen and Julie and her husband Sam were standing there. They asked me how I slept and I told them I hadn’t slept at all. They figured that was what I would say and Julie said, “I am driving you home today.” She drove me 9 hours home, got a return ticket from my local airport and went back home. Because of her, I was able to sit in the back of the car with my children who needed to cry and be held. I had time to sit and think about the upcoming days without the pressure of trying to drive. 

As we approach the 5 year anniversary of the day Jordan died, I can’t help but feel overwhelming gratitude once again for my sweet angel friend Julie and what she meant to us that day. I am so grateful she was inspired to stop- it made ALL the difference for me and my kids. In the months that followed his death, on particularly hard days I could say to my kids “This may be hard but we know God loves us because he sent us Julie.” 

I will always love my friend Julie. I don’t think she will ever fully understand the significance of her kindness that day. We still stay in touch, and we have even visited them in their home again under happier circumstances. 

My message to you, my friends, is this:

Even in the lowest of your lowest days, God is aware of you. He knows you, He sees you. Sometimes it can seem like He is hiding but I promise He is there, and He loves you. His love is without condition- it is a given. Keep going, keep pushing forward. There are good things, and really good people ahead. 

Photo: Sam and Julie 

3 comments:

  1. So inspiring...thank you for sharing. A much more personal way of saying what has been said by others from the pulpit:

    “I think our tendency is just to bring brownies rather than figure out how to walk into that moment with honesty and love.” - Bonnie Cordon

    "If you come upon a person who is drowning, would you ask if they need help—or would it be better to just jump in and save them from the deepening waters? The offer, while well meaning and often given, “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all." - Ronald Rasband

    We need to be ready to truly MINISTER at a moment's notice. Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about you friend! I often reflect upon those memories which help me feel God's love. I have no doubt he loves you, me and each of us! He's there for us if we'll just listen! Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got chills reading this, even though you told me the story in Dallas. I know God is keenly aware of all of us, even in our darkest days. Especially in our darkest days.

    ReplyDelete