Thursday, March 21, 2019

Why Choose Discomfort on Purpose?


I've been thinking about this quote a lot lately. I think it probably means different things to different people, but to me, it means that anything that is worth having involves some risk and discomfort in the getting of it. That is the price we pay.

Where I have felt this the most is in marriage, starting a new career and creating my own business, and being willing to do really hard things, especially when I don't know the outcome.

When I got married for the second time,  I had gone through lots of therapy to try to understand all that went down in my first marriage. But in many ways, my brain was still the same as it was before. I was a new bride, ready to dive into my new life when out of the blue I started having panicked, racing thoughts about something bad happening. I started looking for trouble. Was I missing something? Could I really let my guard down and be happy? I learned that the greatest gift I could give myself and my new husband was the gift of allowing myself to trust. Oh, this was very uncomfortable. It was terrifying, in fact. What if I were to be blind sighted again? In allowing the uncomfortable feelings and even saying, "What if something DID happen? You could handle it," I gave myself the freedom to love my husband the way I wanted to. I still have days when I'll get scared but it is much less frequent. And our marriage is that much greater because of it.

Go after your dreams. Be willing to be vulnerable. Trust the process. Trust yourself to grow and rise up to the next stage of your life. Show up for yourself. It may be (and most likely will be) uncomfortable, but in my opinion it's a whole lot more uncomfortable to sit in your misery and pain waiting for things to happen! If you are going to be uncomfortable anyway, why not go after your dreams, whatever they may be? Go get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment